Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Another Broken bone......

After spending a weekend down in Saint George, I came home on Sunday. Bryson told me he hurt his foot, and I thought nothing of it.  The following morning I was going visiting teaching and I was putting on his shoe.  I kinda twist the shoe to get it on, and Bryson yelled that hurts my toe! I was running late as usual and thought I better look at his foot when I get home because all I saw was a tiny scratch and I didn't think that should have hurt it.  I drag the poor kid visiting teaching, but he is walking around playing with other kids.  As I look back now, I remember thinking he is walking funny, but I thought he was just being silly.  I get home and fixed the little man lunch and then my mom called to see how Bryson's foot was, because she watched him on Friday night.  She told me he had jumped off the couch and hurt his foot and he would not walk on it the rest of the night.  I am thinking why hasn't anyone told me about this! Then as I finished talking to my mom, Trisha called to see how he was doing.  Savannah had been watching him when he jumped from the couch.  
I decided I better check out the foot since he was sill complaining about it.  I pulled off his sock and thought his foot sure is warm.  I am checking for swelling, and it maybe looks a tiny bit swollen so I pulled off his other sock and those toes were cold! I told Trisha his foot was very warm and I was going to call the doctor.  I called my Pediatrician's office and left a message for the nurse to call me.  She called me back and said you need to take him to an Orthopedic!  I was not expecting that, I called the orthopedic from my ward and the receptionist informed me she wasn't sure if they could see any more patients that day but she would check with the doctor.  She came back and said Dr. Sumko said for you to come right down.  I love having so many doctors in the ward! I took Bryson down and we had it x-rayed.  Dr. Sumko could not see a break on the x-ray, but since it was swollen and he would not pull full pressure on it wanted him to be in a cast for 2 weeks.  He thought there might be a break in the growth plate.  
Bryson was so brave and good for the doctor! For some reason he wanted to wear this angry bird hat and I just let him.  So here is getting a cast in his green undies wearing an angry bird hat! After they put on the cast they asked if he wanted Sparkles and he said yes! I was dying, thinking why are you asking a boy if he wants sparkles.  He had blue sparkles on his cast, but he called them sprinkles! It was cute, how can you say no to this cute guy when he had a broken foot?!?



 He had a hard time walking at first so Dallin brought in his Mickey Scooter.  I thought it was hilarious.  He even sat on it to play the Xbox. This brings new meaning to the words "motorized scooter" huh?
 I wasn't sure how we were going to manage a bath, but my friend gave me idea of the stool and it worked perfectly!

 Two days later Bryson had another field trip.  I was a little worried how he would get around, so I was glad I was going with him.  I shouldn't have been worried though he did amazing.  All the kids loved this huge tortoise. 
 The owner of the animals brought around some smaller turtles and the kids were able to touch them.
 Bryson touched it's head and it pulled it right into his shell, he thought that was so cool.
 He said, this it what the turtle did when I touched it's head.
 How cute is he?  Checking out the ponies.
 Touching the big turtle!

I am so glad I was able to go on this field trip with Bryson.  This is one of the many, many reasons I am grateful to be stay at home mom.  I love that I can go to these things with my kids. 

 Bryson wore his cast for two weeks, I took him back to the doctor and they took off his cast.  They asked him if he could walk on it, and he stood up and went running out the room and into the hall where he promptly fell.  He wouldn't walk anymore and I was worried.  The x-ray showed that there probably had been a very small break on his foot, but had healed.  It looks more white in the x-ray showing the body putting more calcium there to heal the break.  Bryson did not have to put the cast back on, but he wouldn't walk either.  Dr. Sumko said it was because his ankle was sore and stiff from not moving.  He made him a little half cast to wear with an ace bandage and said to use it during the day and at night leave it off and see how if he will walk after it becomes less stiff.  Sure enough, he was fine after a day and didn't have to wear it anymore.  I can't believe this little guy has had 2 broken bones, and none of my other kids have had anything! CRAZY!

No comments:

Post a Comment